Breakfast is an important meal (and most people try to eat it in the morning.*) However sometimes it is hard to eat a good breakfast because one is in a rush and by mid-morning one is eating a Danish or something from a coffee shop. So we are lead to make bad food choices out of a lack of time.
*Unless you are someone who likes to extend their night time fast into the afternoon with certain forms of daily fasting like Lean Gains or the Warrior Diet.
Healthy Fast Food:
My advice is to make a morning smoothie/shake/meal replacement that will keep you full and prepare you for the day. I like to use a Magic Bullet and it has replaced the 2 blenders I used to use in a day. Much cleaner and easier.
1. Liquid base. Choose one or mix: Almond Milk, Hemp Milk, Rice Milk or Cows Milk or Water. 1/2-1 cup
2. Fruit: Choose one or mix: Banana, Pineapple, Berries, Mixed fruit, etc. 1/2-1 cup
3. Fat: Nut Butter (Peanut, almond, cashew, etc) or Coconut milk or coconut flakes 1-2 TBsp
4. Fibre: Flax seed, flax meal, or chia seeds 1-2 Tsp
5. Protein: 1-2 scoops powder (whey, pea, rice, soy, etc) 20-40g, OR 1/2-1 cup egg whites
6. Spices: Cinnamon, cocoa, nutmeg, apple pie spice and liquid flavour extracts. (vanilla, cherry, etc)
7. Vegetables: Spinach, broccoli or kale. (handful)
Add ice cubes if not using frozen fruit or berries and add water to shake if too thick before blending.
Experiment with combos!
Sample Shake: Cutler Peanut Colada (you can adjust the quantity of ingredients to suit your caloric needs)
In Magic Bullet blend:
1 cup Vanilla unsweetened Almond Milk
1/2 cup pineapple
2 TBsp coconut milk
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1/4 cup blueberries
2 tsp flax meal
1 scoop strawberry protein powder (whey isolate is good for this)
1 Fist-full of spinach.
This drink tastes fantastic and will keep you full for a few hours. It will have a low glycemic load because of all the fat and fibre and so you won't crash from it later like those "Super Juice shakes" you buy at the mall and airports! Most importantly it is loaded with nutrients and energy for the day! Give it a shot and let me know how you like it by posting a comment! Cheers:
PS: I will figure out what the 'nutrition label' would be and will post later!
PS: I bought my Magic Bullet at Canadian Tire on sale for $30